One: Session Five
- We often think
of an argument as a verbal fist fight. For instance,
when people are yelling at each other, or are angry one
with another. But we are using the word in a very different
argument is a
connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
An argument doesn't even require opposing sides.
men are mortal.
Socrates is a man.
Therefore, Socrates is mortal.
- You should notice a few things about
- Notice the connection in the
first two sentences is the category "men."
- Notice the established proposition
(Socrates is mortal) must be true if the fist two sentences
- Notice that reasonable person
disagrees with this, and yet it is still an argument.
- In the next section you will learn the names of the parts
of an argument.